Sunday, January 30, 2011

Designing for Agency

Recently, I've been reconsidering my initial ideas and conceptions on the meaning of designing for agency. I have been oscillating between pragmatic and philosophical positions and formulations. I have not settled on either yet.

I like the explorative nature of the study but it makes it quite hard for me to formulate the relevancy. I tend to see designing for agency as something that expands the scope of our design space and by extension use space.  For design phase, it allows us to be more reflective, critical, accountable and responsible and understand the importance of relationality, materiality, multiplicity and participation.  For use phase, It enables users to perceive and act in a much more varied ways and supports improvised actions and creative reconfigurations between humans, artefacts and environment.

There are two questions I need to answer:

> Causality? do I need to show a casual link between agency sensitive practices and their effects? (in my work or in others' work)
> One aspect or multiple aspects? should I pick up one aspect of ASD qualities and work on it in more detail or should I try to use all qualities at some extent?

No comments:

Post a Comment